Friday, June 13, 2008

It's Been a While


It's been a while since I've posted, and what better time to post than now? After last night's thrilling NBA Finals Game 4, I had to write a little something about it. The Celtics made the greatest comeback in NBA Finals history. They trailed by 21 after the 1st quarter, which was the most a team trailed after the 1st quarter in history. Then, during halftime, the Celtics were down by 18. The Lakers led by as many as 24, before the Celtics exploded. Horrible shooting and no defense by the Celtics in the first half were the differences. The Lakers made their shots and capitalized on Celtics mistakes. But, the second half saw a complete change of momentum. It was like the Celtics flipped a switch and decided that they wanted to win the game. Paul Pierce and Kevin Garnett came alive in the 3rd quarter. I have to say, Ray Allen was the most consistent guy for the Celtics all series. Every game he has done what he had to do.

Being down 3-1, it's going to be very difficult for the Lakers to come back in this series. I mean, it's certainly possible, but it wont be easy. I will say this though...If Kobe leads the Lakers to a Finals win, after being down 3-1, he will cement his name as the best player ever...other than Jordan, of course. If anyone has the ability to come back from 3-1, it's Kobe.

What better way to cover the NBA's problems than with a great series? The problem is the NBA won't be able to cover themselves after this series. There will be a lot of questions during this off season concerning former referee Tim Donaghy's allegations. Personally, I don't know what to think. Donaghy is going to jail either way, so why would he claim that the NBA fixed games in 2002 and 2005 playoff series? I would believe it because NBA officiating has been horrendous the last ten years or so. I think I would rather believe that the officiating just sucks in general...not that the games were fixed, by David Stern himself. There's something about Stern I don't trust. I don't see why Donaghy would make up stuff like this, but I guess he could be making it up. It seems like every sport has its own troubles- baseball with the steroids and football with the Patriots cheating. It's been a while since we could consider a sport to be genuine and trustworthy.

No comments: